07/03/2019 - 6:00pm to 07/04/2019 - 10:00pm
CELEBRATE INDEPENDENCE DAY ON OCRACOKE ISLAND
Enjoy our three day holiday celebration. There will be plenty of opportunities to join the fun.
Wednesday, July 3rd, LET THE INDEPENDENCE DAY CELEBRATION BEGIN!
The festivities kick off on Tuesday, July 3rd with a traditional Ocracoke Square Dance, music and a spectacular Fireworks Display over Silver Lake Harbor.
- 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. The evening begins with a traditional Ocracoke Island Square Dance at the Berkley Manor Barn with music provided by Ocracoke’s Molasses Creek.
- 8 p.m. Emerald Owl Productions deejay will spin dance tunes and patriotic songs at the National Park Service Docks for a pre-fireworks celebration.
- 9:15 p.m. Enjoy a spectacular fireworks display that can be viewed from all locations around Silver Lake Harbor.
Thursday, JULY 4TH, INDEPENDENCE DAY
Celebrate Day and Night! Activities start early and offer a full day of fun that extends into the night. Highlights include the annual Sand Sculpture Contest and Old Time Independence Day Parade. Visitors and Locals are encouraged to join these two events that offer great prizes.
- 8 to 10 a.m. “Meet Winnie,” the newest member of Ocracoke’s Pony Heard at the National Park Service Pony Pens
- 9 a.m. Flag Raising and the National Anthem at the Ocracoke School Flag Circle on School Road
- 9:30 a.m. – Noon 40th Annual Sand Sculpture Contest at the National Park Service Lifeguard Beach. Cash prizes and Special Trophy for "Best in Show" Created by Island Artist Susan Dodd. Be sure to catch the amazing creations. Register Online.
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Classic Car Show - on the Pony Island Lawn, sponsored by Jimmy’s Garage
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Ocracoke Lighthouse Viewing – all are welcome to view inside the base of the Lighthouse
- 4 p.m. Blackbeard the Pirate will be the Grand Marshal of the Old Time Independence Day Parade - featuring floats, decorated golf carts, bicycles and walkers. This year’s parade theme is the “300th Anniversary of Blackbeard’s Last Day,” with a special prize category this year, “Best Blackbeard.” All are welcome and encouraged to enter the parade. Cash Prize Awards and a Special Trophy Created by Ocracoke Island artist Susan Dodd for ”Best in Show”. Enter the Parade online.
- 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. Storytelling with Donald Davis takes place on the lawn of Books to be Red on School Road.
- 6:45 p.m. Awards Presentation for Parade and Sand Sculpture Contest on the lawn of Books to be Red.
- 7:30 to 11:30 p.m. New for this year, there will be a Glow-in-the-Dark Laser Show and Dance Party at the Ocracoke Community Park. Wear your glow-in-the-dark gear and dance to music from the last five decades, all with laser special effects. There will be interactive games, contests, giveaways and fun for all ages. $5 admission. Glow items and concessions will be available for purchase. Proceeds benefit the Ocracoke Youth Center. Rain date is July 5th.
FRIDAY, JULY 5TH
Festivities conclude Thursday, July 5th, with a Community Beach Bonfire Under the Stars from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Ocracoke Lifeguard Beach/Day Use Area. Bring your beach chairs, blankets, marshmallows and roasting sticks. S’mores will be provided for first 150 attendees.
Visit the Events by Bike
With so many Independence Day celebrations within Ocracoke Village, bikes are the perfect way to travel. Visit our Beach Outfitters page on our website to view available rental items. Reserve your items in advance of your arrival for delivery to your rental cottage. Call the Ocracoke Island Realty Rental Office at (877) 741-6645.
Connect with Ocracoke's Vacation Experts
Did you miss out on planning a July 4th visit to Ocracoke Island? This is our most popular vacation week. If you can't make it for the 4th, we invite you to select another great week on Ocracoke. For vacation rental information please visit Ocracoke Island Realty or call our office at (866) 806-0782.