Before you head to the beach this summer, be sure to learn about rip currents. Understanding the motion of water in a rip current, the correct way to exit the ocean and the importance of staying calm can save your life.
Please visit the NOAA website for information about rip currents and to view several instructional videos.
The Lifeguard Beach on Ocracoke is just outside the village, offers a large parking lot, outside shower and changing rooms. Stay safe and enjoy your day at the beach.
Outer Banks Lifeguarded Beaches
Three locations along the Cape Hatteras National Seashore are staffed with lifeguards daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend. The locations are:
• Ocracoke Day Use Beach (half a mile north of Ocracoke Village).
• Coquina Beach (across from the Bodie Island Lighthouse).
• Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Beach (just north of the Hatteras lighthouse).
Services on Ocracoke Island
• 911 is available for Emergency Services.
• Ocracoke Health Center (252) 928–1511. Please call for hours of operation, Monday thru Friday.
• 911 is available for Health Emergency Services.
• Ocracoke Sheriff’s Office (252) 928–7301 (non-emergency). Call 911 for Emergencies.
• NPS Park Service Ranger’s Office (252) 928–5111 (non-emergency).
• US Coast Guard Station (252) 928–3711