31 May 2020
Beach Driving in the Cape Hatteras National Seashore including Ocracoke
Visitors to Ocracoke that will be driving their off-road vehicle on the beach are required to obtain an Off-Road Vehicle Use Permit from the National Park Service.
*At the present time, the National Park Service office on Ocracoke is closed. Please disregard any postings that you may see regarding applying for a permit at the Ocracoke Visitor’s Center. That service is not available at this time.
Save time by obtaining an online ORV Permit in advance of your arrival.
Spend more time on the beach! Obtain your Permit and Proof of Permit prior to leaving home for vacation.
To obtain a permit online, visit the Cape Hatteras ORV Permit page at Recreation.gov. We suggest obtaining and printing your permit in advance of your arrival.
Steps to obtain an online permit:
- Go to the Cape Hatteras ORV Permit page on Recreation.gov
- Fill out the online application
- Print the permit and proof-of-permit and place them in your vehicle. ** As an alternative, Self-Certification Cards are available outside of the National Park Service Visitor Center, at Tradewinds Tackle and outside Ocracoke Island Realty. Cards can be completed with required proof of permit information, including the signature of the permittee, once you have applied online. This card must be placed in the windshield or dashboard of the Off Road Vehicle to be valid. and have an electronic copy of your permit proof of purchase available on a smartphone or other electronic device.
- The website contains rules, regulations, frequently asked questions and other good to know information.
Two types of permits are available for purchase:
- 10-day Permit ($50, valid for 10 consecutive days),
- Annual Permit ($120, valid for one year from date of purchase).
Each vehicle must have its own permit.
Did you forget to obtain an ORV Pass?
Go online to obtain a permit. If you are unable to print your permit, you must fill out a self-certification form and display it on your dashboard and have an electronic copy of your permit proof of purchase available on a smartphone or other electronic device.
Self-certification cards are available outside of the National Park Service Visitor Center, at Tradewinds Tackle, and outside the Ocracoke Island Realty office in the Key Drop Off box on the front porch. Required proof of permit information, including the signature of the permittee, must be on the card and placed in the windshield or dashboard of the Off Road Vehicle to be valid.
Ocracoke Island Realty offers our guests access to a printer for printing a permit, if required. Spend more time having fun!
Planning your next Ocracoke Vacation
Explore Ocracoke Island Realty's selection of vacation rentals that are the perfect for your next island getaway. From family friendly homes, condos, homes with pools, and pet friendly rentals, we have it all. We look forward to hosting your next stay on Ocracoke Island! We invite you to visit us online or give us a call at (866) 806-0782.