Information for Guests with Pets
Ocracoke Island Realty offers over 90 pet friendly properties to choose from. We invite you to check out our large variety of pet friendly vacation rentals to find your perfect vacation getaway!
Unless otherwise noted, our Pet Friendly properties permit up to two dogs or cats only, with no weight restriction. A $50 pet fee will be applied to your 2017 reservation during checkout. Guests not bringing a pet can indicate this in the Comments & Special Requests field of their online reservation. If you have any questions about bringing your pet with you on your Ocracoke vacation, please do not hesitate to give us a call.
Traveling to Ocracoke with your pet will require some additional preparation. You will want to pack all necessary pet supplies.
There are no veterinary services available on Ocracoke Island. Veterinary care or the purchase of specialized items would require an unplanned trip off island and will take time away from vacation activities.
When searching for a pet friendly home please read the individual property descriptions carefully. While most of our pet friendly homes allow up to two domestic housebroken dogs or cats, some homes do have additional restrictions. Most commonly these restrictions include allowing only dogs or allowing only one dog.
All of Ocracoke's beaches belong to the National Park Service and fall under the guidelines of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. There is a leash law at National Parks that requires leashes not to exceed six (6) feet in length.
- Please keep your pet on a leash at all times
- Be sure to bring plenty of fresh water for your pets. Dogs can easily become dehydrated on the beach and will need plenty of water.
- Do not allow your pet to drink salt water. When a dog ingests too much salt water it can lead to an upset GI track and result in diarrhea and vomiting.
- Provide shade for your pet if you plan to stay on the beach for a long period of time.
- Hot sand and pavement can burn the pads on your dog’s feet. Plan walks for the cooler times of day.
- Beware of allowing your pet near fish hooks. The need for a vet visit for removal of fish hooks is a common occurrence at beach locations.
- Watch out for sand spurs that often lodge between a pet's toes.
- Fleas and ticks can be found on the island, so make sure to apply your pet's medication in preparation for your visit.
- Please be considerate of your neighbors and the next guest coming into your vacation home. Please clean up after your pet and dispose of waste in appropriate containers.
If you have any questions about bringing your pet with you on your Ocracoke vacation, don't hesitate to give us a call at (866) 806-0782.
Kennel Services - There is one seasonal kennel on Ocracoke. Sandy Paws Bed and Biscuit Inn is located on West End Road across from the Variety Store on Hwy 12. They offer doggie day care and unlimited access to your pet in a climate controlled environment. Please be sure to call in advance regarding availability. Phone: (252) 928-3093.
Veterinary Services - There is no veterinary office on Ocracoke Island. The closest vet is located in Buxton on Hatteras Island. Please call Coastal Animal Hospital at (252) 995-3960 for available days and hours.
Roanoke Island Animal Clinic- Manteo (252) 473-3117 - Appointments available on Ocracoke the third Wednesday of the month 9 AM - 1 PM. www.roanokeislandanimalclinic.com
Animal Hospital of Nags Head (252) 441-8611 www.obxvet.com
Coastal Animal Hospital- Buxton (252) 995-3960 www.coastalanimalhospital.com
Coastal Animal Hospital- Kitty Hawk (252) 261-3960 www.coastalanimalhospital.com